Saturday, February 10, 2007

The premise

I've recently returned from the RSA 2007 conference. It was my first time at this particular conference and I came away impressed by nearly everything. The speakers, attendees, moscone center, downtown San Francisco (or whatever part you'd say that the Westin and Moscone center are in), the weather, and even the vendors.

In particular I was at a peer to peer session titled, "More than Just a Job: Building a rewarding and successful career in Security" this topic was led by Mike Murray. One of the things that were discussed is personal branding. The idea of setting yourself apart from others through the medium of blogging (among other things I suspect). But that got me thinking about my own situation.

I've been in IT since roughly 1995 when I discovered that it was more fun to understand how my computer worked instead of using Excel to build commissions reports at my temp job. I've taken the slow and winding road from temp help desk flunky to net admin in a small law firm then stepping back from that into help desk flunky, then senior help desk flunky, sidestepping into web server admin with a bit of developing and now full-time into security (which I've been doing for about 50% of the time for the past 3 years).

I've always been a jack of all trades master of none. I'm convinced that security is the most interesting aspect of working with Technology, but there are so many disciplines within security that it's hard to focus. It's always a struggle to determine if what I'm working on is really worth it for my company.

So I've decided to start this blog, that will attempt to follow my transition from IT net admin into Security Analyst or Information Security Manager or whatever my new title is selected to be. Even though it's not yet 100% that I will get to transition full time to security. Comments on the particular title would be of great help.

As of now I don't have approval from my company to do this, but I plan on seeking approval very soon. Regardless, I'll be keeping a certain amount of anonymity throughout. And I plan on following the tenets put forth here.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home